Sunday, July 5, 2009

I am not quite a llama.

Okay, so I'm not completely happy with my performance yesterday. Not quite what I consider "llama-esque" but it's a start. I ran the July 4 four mile race in Cranford. My performance wasn't pretty-- I had to stop and walk-- but I did it. I finished and even with walking averaged twelve minute miles. Not great, but I wasn't last. I really need to work on the mental aspects. I am ridiculously hard on myself.

Refocus. Rather than seeing what I would have improved, what did I do well? First, I showed up. I put myself in the race. I am proud of that. I haven't done that since 2001. Eight years. I ran four miles, not straight, but I did four. I believe I have earned my new sneakers. I focused on breathing and some of the techniques I've been reading about.

I can do this. I knew it wouldn't be easy, but something worth having is worth the work. I love how I feel at the end. I really need that sense of accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment