Thursday, September 17, 2009

Introducing 'Powerhouse' and 'Hammer.'

How is it possible that I can run 6.6 miles faster than I can run 4? Isn't there some law of the universe that would prevent that circumstance?

I couldn't run Monday so I pushed the "short" run to Tuesday. To condense a long, not very interesting story, let's just say it was not one of my better days. I should not run if I am any of the following: hungry, thirsty, or tired.

After Saturday and then Tuesday, I was discouraged and needed to really chat myself up (you know, tell myself how I'm fabulous and love running, and have made a commitment that I need to honor and all that positive feel good stuff) in order to run on Wednesday. The weather was bad (again) and oddly enough, that's what finally convinced me to go. I took on that "I'll show you" attitude (you know the one-- it's more bluster than sense) and went out in the downpour to run my 6 miles.

I was soaked before I left the parking lot and hit the trail. But it didn't matter. (It really didn't.) I felt light and happy and strong. It was so different than the previous day. It felt good to move. I had the trail to myself and just listened to my feet hitting the pavement, measuring off the distance.

At one point the trail winds along the edge of the lake. There's a rowing team that practices there. On Wednesday, I could hear their coach reprimanding them from the pace boat. I guess they weren't pulling correctly or something. Anyway, he told them to remember that they should rely on and trust not only their strength, but the strength of the others in the boat. He used some pretty colorful adjectives but as I ran past I just kept thinking about him yelling, "You're a powerhouse. You're a hammer. You're a powerhouse. You're a hammer."

Meet my legs: Powerhouse (on the right) and Hammer (on the left). I kept chanting "Powerhouse. Hammer. Powerhouse. Hammer. " for the rest of the run.

What a great day.

Today I followed up with a fast, short run of only 2 miles. (Only 2 miles-- hah!) Saturday is a 12-miler. I am ready. Powerhouse and Hammer will carry me wherever I want to go. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment