Tuesday, September 1, 2009

5.4 and 3.3 = Progress.

I am trying to stay positive. I missed my long run this weekend due to circumstances beyond my control. Sometimes life trumps the best planned program. I was going to run on Saturday morning-- I had it planned so that I would be back on track after my Parisian sojourn. But Saturday was too soon after my other runs (and really rainy) so I figured I'd do it on Sunday. No problem. Sunday dawned (I was up to see it). I was tying my shoe and ready to go for my long run and the phone interrupted. Family wins.

So I ran yesterday. I had mapped out an eight miler but due to time constraints, only did part of it. I thought I'd done between 6 and 7. I was wrong. When I went back later and mapped it with the car, I'd only done 5.4. Short 2.6.

Okay. It's time to focus on the positive. I had a really good run. I've missed the river. There are so many memories tied up with that area that running there again felt effortless. Wait-- did I just suggest that I ran 5 miles effortlessly? Yep. I wasn't winded. My legs felt strong. And while my mental focus drifted to various topics, none were related to pain, anguish, or discomfort of running. I need to sort through some of my thinking from the past two days. (I've been having interesting conversations with myself.) In short-- I was in "llama-state" for about an hour. (Yes, it took me somewhere in the vicinity of an hour to run 5 miles. In theory I'm a llama. In reality I'm a turtle.)

Today I'm back home and did 3+. Tomorrow I'll run another 4-5 and then I'm planning on a 9-10 for Friday since I expect to be away for the weekend. Next week I'm back to work and will have to make adjustments again. I can do this but flexibility will have to be part of the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment