Saturday, October 31, 2009

I am a runner and I have the callouses to prove it.

On Thursday night I had a "running epiphany"-- I understand now how this can be addictive. When the run is perfect-- weather, pace, time of day-- everything just magically clicks. The endorphin rush is unbelievable and what's more, it lasts for hours. A good run = joy. Of course, the problem is reaching that "joy point" each time.

Tomorrow will be my final long run. Althought the official schedule calls for 18, I'm planning to run 20 miles. I want the mental "boost." After tomorrow, I start cutting back. the race is in three weeks.

And now it is raining outside and I'm sitting here wondering how else (other than in pants size) this experience has changed me. I feel different, but I'm not sure how. I'm proud that I've stuck to the schedule. I didn't quit. It was difficult on some days, but I didn't quit. I think that's why I was so anxious this week about my sore knee. I didn't want to miss a day because I'm afraid that I'd start to think that since it was okay to miss that run, maybe I'd skip another one because I'm tired or busy or ... But I didn't skip. I readjusted the schedule and reduced the mileage a bit, but I didn't skip.

I don't have any more insight tonight. I am getting excited because tomorrow is November 1 which means only 21 more days!

No comments:

Post a Comment